Moroccan Style Beef Stew
Posted 2nd February 2014
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 900g/2lb lean cubed shin of beef or chuck steak
- 2tbsp plain flour
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp Moroccan spices, eg Ras El Hanout
- 3tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
- 400g can chick peas, drained
- 45ml/3tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Place the flour in a large plastic food bag, season and add the cumin and Moroccan spices. Gently toss the beef cubes in the seasoned flour to coat.
- preheat oven to Gas mark 3, 170 C, 335 F.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large frying pan and brown the beef in batches. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan and the remaining oil and cook the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes the transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 2hours 30 minutes, or until the beef is tender.
- 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the chick peas and reture to the oven.
- Garnish the stew with the yoghurt and mint and serve with steamed couscous, rice or mash.
Alternatively, cook the stew on the hob over a low heat for 2-2 1/2hours, stirring occasionally.